LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 16:52:26 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Gary Dauphin <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 07:36:10 -0500
>From: Gary Dauphin <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: OS X and non-English fonts

1) No language kits necesasry on OS X.  We will be building the
languages directly into the OS.  We will be supporting more and more
languages as time goes by.

2) Yes, the languauge kits work in Classic Mode:

Customers should be sure to check for software updates in 9- there are
current updates for Korean and
Chinese and may be others in the future.

3) OS X supports various Font types:

Mac OS X works with these font formats:

* TrueType fonts (with the extension .ttf)
* TrueType collections (with the extension .ttc)
* OpenType fonts (with the extension .otf)
* Older Macintosh Fonts
* Microsoft Windows Font Formats - Mac OS X also works with font formats
used by Microsoft Windows. These
fonts have all their data in the data fork and do not have the
additional resources found in Macintosh fonts.

Font suitcases used by Mac OS 9 and earlier continue to work with Mac OS
X. No revision or conversion is necessary.

Gary Dauphin
Apple
Higher Education Account Executive
Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana