LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 15:25:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Denise Hamwey <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:05:49 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Denise Hamwey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: problems with computer audio and recording
>To: [log in to unmask]

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this list would be able
to help with a problem my colleagues and I are having
in our computer-based language lab.  One of the
software programs we use is the Rosetta Stone.  If you
are familiar with Rosetta, there are exercises which
allow you to record your speaking and compare
pronunciation to that of a native speaker.  In our
lab, we cannot get this function to work, except for
in one row of 4 computers.  Also, as of last week, we
are unable to get the listening exercises to work.
Despite playing with the volume on both the headset
interface and the computer, students cannot hear
anything.

We have tried adjusting settings on playback and
record, and we have even gone to our technology expert
in our school and to the person who installed our lab
for help, but nobody seems to understand what the
problem is (I am also not sure how hard they have
tried to fix the problem).  I am not sure if this is a
simple or complicated problem to solve.  The recording
function has pretty much not worked from day 1, and
the audio from the CD-ROM could be heard up until last
week.  We just got new headphones for our computers,
so I do not know if that has anything to do with the
audio problem.

Any advice into solving these two problems would be
most appreciated!

Denise Hamwey