LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 08:10:54 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Mary Kiyoko Ohno" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Mary Kiyoko Ohno" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re:      #6127 problems with computer audio and recording
>Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:13:25 -0400

------------------
Hello.

    We use Rosetta Stone for our lower levels, and have had similar
problems. Some of the following may resolve your problems:

1) Within Rosetta Stone itself: The recording supposedly should happen
automatically, when the student repeats immediately after hearing the
original example and it will play the student's version right back. If not,
it can be done "manually" by clicking on the microphone icon on the bottom
left of the pop-up window. The icon must be illuminated and you will see a
progress bar. In order to hear it, you have to click on the play button.
Also, there is a settings control (on the lower right of the screen, to the
left of the man with the parachute). You might try to adjust this up to
level 10.

2) We have our microphone jack directly into the back of the CPU. Make sure
that it's in the correct "mic" port. There may be a special setting on your
headset that turns off the microphone. If so, make sure that it is turned on
or away from an off position.

3) It may be a systems setting. From the desktop, you can click on the sound
icon (that looks like a yellow megaphone). Under volume control, go to
Options - Properties - Recording and make sure that the "Mic" radio button
is clicked and that no setting is on "mute". You can adjust the input volume
up here too. Alternatively, go to Start - Programs - Settings - Control
panel - Multimedia.

4) Have the students try again and speak up, directly into the microphone.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

-- Mary Kiyoko Ohno

Carlos Rosario International
Washington, DC