LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 10:25:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Marty DeWindt <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 15:01:53 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Marty DeWindt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6117 Course Management Software

------------------
We are in our third quarter of evaluating WebCT, Blackboard and now
Jenzabar's IMS (which is comparable) and Campus Cruiser. We have a German
professor that is using Blackboard. I will share more info on request. We
are using these products as enhancements to in-class teaching. We are not
using them for distance learning. Therefore we are interested in
1. ease of having existing materials available on the web
2. discussion groups (tip sheets on how to make those successful available)
3. relevant links
4. method of communication - email, papers, assignments/calendar, quizzes
Grading is not as important for most of our faculty - we have classes of 8-22.

is for both the luddite and the nerd. WebCT has a Mac look and feel and
more flexibility. However, the simplicity of Blackboard is really want
faculty are after. They are more interested in an efficient ways of
accomplishing the above and less interested in the creativity of page
set-up. Both products are now priced about the same.

Jenzabar's IMS is an immature product. May be better in the coming 12-15
months.

Campus Cruiser is really a portal with a wonderful calendar (best of the
bunch) that works well for a student to manage tasks and assignments and
includes the 1-3 listed above.

Most of these folks will give you a chance to try it for a quarter or
semester from their server. This may be slow but your faculty can get a
feel for how it would work.

Marty

At 02:00 PM 5/11/01 EDT, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]> ---

>>Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:30:26 -0400
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>>From: Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Course Management Software
>
>------------------
>Dear LLTI folks;
>
>We're evaluating three course management packages for possible
>implementation next year.
>
>They are WebCT, Prometheus, and Blackboard.
>
>Has anyone used these products? What are your reactions? How is the FL
support?

>Thanks in advance,
>Karl
>
>Karl W. Fisher
>Director, Language Laboratory
>735 University Avenue
>The University of the South
>Sewanee, TN 37383
>
>Lab: (931) 598-1468
>Fax: (931) 598-1145

Marty DeWindt                           [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Director            618-374-5132
The Principia                           www.prin.edu