LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 10:25:29 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Our campus has switched to the DHCP protocol and I've been having
> problems with machines dropping from my AppleShare IP 6.3 server. To run
> 6.3, the server has to be running OS 9.0. My lab machines are currently
> on 8.6. Once the protocol switched I had problems with drops, so I
> thought I would upgrade the lab machines to 9.0 (I had a similar problem
> 1-2 years ago). Anyway, testing by installing 9.0 on a lab machine, it
> doesn't seem that I can mount the server on startup saving name and
> password (with or without keychain enabled) without having to manually
> supply a password.

Beth,

This may be a side note, but if you're running OS 9.x on an ASIP 6.x
server, you should be running with free updates OS 9.1 and ASIP 6.3.1 on
the server. Also, your server doesn't connect via DHCP, does it?
Servers should have static IP addresses.

Other notes re ASIP: Be sure to disable the extension "OT AutoPush
Support" and add the extension "Thread Manager (v. 2.1.5+).

If you're still having problems, why don't you enable guest access, with
no password, to the shared folders on the server (I'm assuming that
you're not sharing the entire server volume, which, in any case, should
not be done).

Let us know how you make out.

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph 617.353.7957  fx 617.353.6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll
WebFeat:        http://www.bu.edu/johndesz/