LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 10:25:21 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Dr Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:53:40 -0400
>Subject: Audio plug converters
>From: Dr Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear LLTIers,

There's a minor technical query about which I would appreciate your advice.
I have some 50 retired Sony microphone/headset combinations which I'd like
to get a few more miles out of by recycling them for use with computers. The
problem is that the headsets use a two prong audio jack connector and the
computer sound cards all use single jack micro input/output plugs.  Is there
anything more involved here than converting the plug on the
microphone/headset to feed a separate audio output/microphone input?  Does
anyone know of a commercially available conversion product to facilitate the
process? I suppose that, in a pinch, one could always just snip off the
original double plug and solder on two separate ones.  Any suggestions?
Jack

Jack Burston, Ph.D.
Director of Foreign Language Instructional Technologies
College of Liberal Arts
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122