LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 16:59:24 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jeff La Favre <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:09:04 -0400
>From: Jeff La Favre <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6120 Audio plug converters
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Jack,

You can get adapters at Radio Shack that will work (female on one end to connect to headphone plug and male
on the other to connect to computer - you would need one stereo for the speakers in the headphone and one
mono for the microphone).  I have done this with the Sony headphones (double prong) for sound from the
computer and this works fine.  However, I think you will find that the microphone in the headset does not
put out a strong enough signal for direct input to a computer sound card (try it with one set up before you
buy adapters for all of your headphones).  In our lab, the microphone signal is routed through a Sony
Cassette Recorder at the student station for preamplification before feeding into the computer sound card
(this required some custom wiring of the cassette recorder).

Jeff La Favre
John Carroll University