LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 10:04:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Sarah Pradt <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 09:01:36 -0500
>From: Sarah Pradt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Good scanners for Japanese OCR?
>To: [log in to unmask]

Colleagues,
I know that every once in a while someone has posted questions about
scanning non-western languages to this list, and I've read those questions
and responses in the archives.
It seems that the only reasonable OCR software for Japanese (Macintosh
platform) is eTypist, which we have made arrangements to acquire.  However,
our IT dept is not enthusiastic about any of the scanners listed as
appropriate for use with eTypist at
http://www.mediadrive.co.jp/katuji/seihin/et60m/et60/scanner.html.  The
dep't cites poor reviews and/or unavailability through our standard vendors.

I'm wondering if there's anyone on this list who is currently using eTypist
OCR software with a scanner commerically available in the U.S.
Sarah Pradt
Macalester College, St. Paul, Minnesota