LLTI Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 13:53:39 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Eric Eubank <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>So, has anyone else noticed that OSX does not talk to NT4 servers? Or
>that it doesn't allow connection through Apple Talk to printers given
>certain types of routers?
>
>Our OIT went so far as to pull OSX from the campus store and refuse
>to support it until such time as those problems are solved.
>

>I have no problems connecting to Windows 2000 Servers from  OS X. I
>cannot test NT - no longer available here  - but since Nt was a the
>predecessor of W2k it should probably work as well. So the problem
>seems to be somewhere else.
>
>Otmar

Hello,

imho, your campus should probably pull the NT servers.

FWIW, to connect to Win2K, enter the IP or name of the Win2K machine
directly in the "Address" field of the dialog box that is presented
on accessing menu item "Connect to Server..." of the menu "Go" in OSX.

Text to be entered in that field should be something like

   afp://someserver.somewhere.edu/

Services for Macintosh in NT uses old-fashioned LAN based appletalk,
whereas OSX uses AFP over IP. That is, each platform exclusively
supports one or the other version of the Apple file sharing protocol.

Win2K does support AFP over IP, so it is possible to connect to Win2K
shares from OSX. But the machine name of the server to which you are
trying to connect may not show up in the network browsing box.

As far as NT goes, you are out of luck. And for the record, SFM in NT
was not particularly implemented well, as far as MacOS users are
concerned. Your campus can upgrade to Win2K -- or even better, to OSX
Server v2, when it arrives (soon).

--
Eric Eubank
sr.systems analyst