LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:27:54 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:17:35 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6000.6 European DVD's (!)

------------------
Checking our Monika's lead, I browsed several UK sites devoted to DVD.  It seems multiregion issues as strong among consumers there as they are among labs here.

The Upgrade Heaven folks actually do a chip retro-fit on several models to make them multi-regional capable.  Many of these models are also nice in that they handle PAL as well as NTSC, which is something to consider in addition to region code locks.  But another interesting tidbit is that for $20-$60 (roughly, depending on model) you can by the retrofit kit for many models and do the upgrade yourself (they don't warranty your electronic goof ups, however).  For a bit more, they'll take your machine and retrofit it for you.  Or, as Monika mentioned, you can buy already retro-fitted players from them.

The site also mentioned a DVD Review magazine, and when I went there I found some interesting information, including a several reviews of "low end" machines (price wise, about $285 or more, with relatively few output options, but probably fine for our purposes).  One example was a Chinese unit that off the shelf does all that we want, is inexpensive, and gets great reviews on performance: "The Mico DVD-A980S is another one of those imported Asian gems that slip quietly under the radar of the big gun hardware manufacturers to answer the multi-region demands of UK consumers. With all the right features, satisfactory performance and a versatile choice of setup options around the back, when shopping for your new or next player, test drive this little number. You won't be disappointed."

Web site for the DVD review is: http://www.dvdreview.co.uk/

Closer to home, the US version of DVD Review has some excellent information to get up to speed with the DVD "lingo."  Their website is: http://www.dvdreview.com/

Examples of interesting items at that site include the FAQ page which tells you pretty much more than you want to know about DVD:
http://www.dvdreview.com/faq/dvdfaq.shtml

...including the real story behind and about region codes:
http://www.dvdreview.com/faq/dvdfaq.shtml#1.10

And finally, let me repeat: Complete your IALL Survey!!! (http://web.lrc.lsa.umich.edu/iall/)

Read Gilgen
Director