LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:13:41 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:30:27 -500
>Subject: 6078.2 Voice analysis/waveform
>To: [log in to unmask]

Dear LLTIers,

     Judy Shoaf mentioned that some CAN-8 users had suggested they
have their students try to match CAN-8's audio graphic.  I can say
that when we bought our CAN-8 lab a few years ago at Ashland
University, it was made clear to us by the vendor and the manufacturer
that the ups and downs in the graphic represent volume and nothing
else.  The graphic helps you see pauses=E2=80=93end of phrase, word or
sentence (since pauses are silences).  The line across the top
indicates the ceiling where you will get clipping if your source is
too loud.  Instructors tell students this in orientations and try to
teach them to read the graphic for those purposes. I usually play back
a nasty clipped file as a demo of what "this" visually will sound
like.
     It's true that, unless told otherwise, some students do think
that they should try to match the graph.  That's one reason we make a
point of telling them not to. =20
    =20
    =20
Mary Ball