LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:13:37 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Philippe Delcloque <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Philippe Delcloque <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6078.6 Voice analysis / waveform (!)
>Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:07:36 +0100

Judy's comments in response to Derek are very pertinent and they are in
effect both right.

If you are interested in pronunciation teaching and learning, you should
really join the InSTIL Special Interest Group (at least as a listener - a
sort of passive member who gains knowledge from the more active membership
and group experts).

InSTIL is a good source of information on all matters relating to the use of
Speech Technology in LL.  It will also release two books this year, hold a
one-day event in Holland, InSTIL 2001 on 29 August 2001 in Nijmegen, and a
two-day Symposium at San Diego State University in late March 2002.

If you would like to join the SIG or require further details, contact
Philippe (the writer) or look at our web site at
http://dbs.tay.ac.uk/instil/

Visual display of speech features in real time can significantly assist both
listening and speaking skills in language learning, and learners can be
trained to interpret visual displays correctly after fairly minimal training
which could even be undertaken in a classroom situation.  Given that a focus
on form has become fashionable again, this may work for some language
pedagogues.

It was very clear this year at CALICO 2001 that there is a resurgence of
interest in the use of machines for pronunciation coaching.

From a speech-enabled CALL enthusiast,

Philippe