LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:26:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Kirk Anderson <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

>Members of the University have a proposal forward to the
>administration requesting that the mandatory lab hour be
>abolished and that instead the lab becomes used as an
>individual study resource room instead.

I think this describes very accurately the fate of
many language labs in U.S. colleges and universities
during the past 20 years.  My opinion is that it
was a big mistake: it has eroded the importance
of language labs and consequently the effectiveness
of language programs.  However, those who work in
institutions whose students demonstrate an exceptional
level of motivation for language study would probably
offer a different perspective.

You may well see your language lab become a
place where students come to check their e-mail,
or don't come at all.

Kirk Anderson
Dept of French Studies
Wheaton College MA