LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:26:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bradley Gano <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:55:31 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Bradley Gano <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6080 Flat Panel Monitors

------------------
At Yale, we're getting ready to build a new lab that will include
flat-panel monitors. This same lab is also going to include some
custom-designed furniture we're going to try out, in an effort to add
flexibility to the lab and increase line of sight between instructor and
students (as well as among students). The flat panel monitors really
contribute to that effort, since (a) it feels like there's less "stuff"
between people and (b) it lets us use smaller desks, which helps bring the
students in closer to the teacher (another lab we already have on campus
has large 17" CRTs on wide tables, and the students in the rear of the room
feel very far away from the instructor).

It's true that there's a cost issue: flat panel displays are considerably
more expensive (even considering the savings in energy costs, I think).
But, we feel it's worth trying to see if it improves the "feel" of the
classroom interaction. (I should explain that this lab will be used as
*both* a classroom and as a drop-in public lab when not otherwise reserved.)

We're also going to experiment a bit, in a different lab, with the
totally-recessed monitors (under a flat glass desktop), though I agree with
the statement made on this list that competing with the obvious advantages
of this design (more desk space, better line of sight between conversation
participants, increased privacy for computer-based testing) are major
disadvantages (potential for glare and complaints of neck strain are two
I've heard, plus I have my own reservations about conducting classes and
workshops in a lab where it's difficult to look over students' shoulders to
make sure they're not having trouble).

At some point, I hope to write up something about the thinking that's led
to the design of this specialized furniture (all the details that were
considered during development would be too long to discuss in this
message), as well as info on user feedback and what we've learned from the
experiment. (At the moment, the facilities construction itself is keeping
all of us pretty busy!) In the meantime, we have some pictures of what
we're planning at:

http://cls.yale.edu/mcl/MCLfromtop.jpg
(this is the lab that will have the flat panel monitors, along with
L-shaped desks that will allow instructors to choose whether to use the
room as a presentation-type room or a seminar room; the perimeter stations
are mostly for when the lab is in non-reserved, drop-in mode)

http://cls.yale.edu/mcl/deskfinal-measurements.jpg
(early versions of the specs on the custom desk itself)

http://cls.yale.edu/mcl/100withnarrowdesks.jpg
(a variation of the L-shaped desk idea, this time in rows so one side of
the classroom can be used as the front for computer-related work, and
another wall can be used as the front for instruction not involving computers)

If this is helpful/interesting to anyone, I'd be happy to discuss it further.

Brad

Bradley Gano
Assistant Director for Technology
Center for Language Study