LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:07:16 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:59:07 -0600
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: changes to the Language Lab

Dear fellow LLTI listserv members:

The University of Regina is considering the fate of its
Language Department and consequently its Language Lab.

Currently we enjoy a statis that I have lead to believe is
becoming increasingly unique in a (Canadian?) University. At
the moment, all students when registered in a language
course, are required to attend 3 hours of class contact
hours and one hour of lab where they work with Student
Assistants.  Though the one hour of lab is not a credit
hour, it is a mandatory hour of study.

Members of the University have a proposal forward to the
administration requesting that the mandatory lab hour be
abolished and that instead the lab becomes used as an
individual study resource room instead.

My question is directed more to those members
of Institutions where changes such as these (or similar
ones) have already taken place.  Would you mind please
sharing your thoughts on the effects of such a transition.
What in your mind has changed (if anything)?  Have you seen
a change in the approach that faculty have to the lab?
that students have?  that administration have?  Has it
changed your jobs?  Has it changed the level of importance
that the lab has within your Institution?   Has it affected
the reputation of your Institution?

If anyone has collected any statistics for their Academic
Institution in regards to this sort of change, those would
be most welcome (and helpful, I'm sure).  But I am also
really looking for those personal comments too.

Please feel free to email me off list.

I appreciate any help that you can give me.

Deanne Cobb