LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:04:44 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jo:rg Waltje" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:30:40 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Jo:rg Waltje" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Graduate Education Survey (2)

------------------

We have already received a number of responses to our survey, but would
like many, many more.  If you have filled out the form already, many thanks
to you.  Everybody else:  now is the time!

Please take a few moments to fill out our survey with respect to your home
institution and your department.  Please (and this might be the most
important part!) FORWARD this announcement and encourage
colleagues/chairs/graduate directors in Language and Literature Departments
to respond to this survey. The people who REALLY need to see this are most
likely not on the LLTI list!

Here it comes again:

                ******

Dear Colleagues:

Currently, graduate students in Languages and Literatures face the
challenge of developing into future faculty members who are supposed to
meet changing disciplinary and institutional needs. The professional
demands created by the rapid growth of information technologies, digital
media, and shifts in the academic job market require advanced graduate
seminars focusing on current language pedagogy and the integration of
technology into language as well as literature teaching.  It seems that
right now very few institutions offer these kinds of courses as part of the
regular curriculum in Language and Literature departments, although, for
example, more and more MLA job ads list "familiarity with instructional
technology" as one of the skills sought in new hires.

You can find the survey at  http://willow.cats.ohiou.edu/~lrc/survey.html

It is short, to the point, and will not take more than seven minutes (!) of
your time.

Best regards,           Jörg Waltje

Dr. Jörg Waltje
Director LRC