LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:00:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:26:39 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6073 Recessed Monitors?

I think the room lighting is a critical variable.  We were not able
to reduce glare to an acceptable level when we experimented with
monitors-under-glass in our first computer lab.  Changing the room
lighting was not affordable in our case.  We have multiple broad
banks of fluorescent lighting.  There are about 60 bulbs controlled
by three switches.  Every combination of the switches (except all
off- there are no windows in the room) produced severe glare for some
or most of the recessed screens.  Screen hoods didn't help us.

In the end, we put the monitors on the desks, which reduced glare to
practically nothing.  With 15" monitors, sight lines to the teacher
are good.  Another problem that we found while testing the mock-ups,
was that monitors-under-glass required more space between the rows,
in order to accomodate the student's knees and keep the back of the
CRT under the desk top.  Bigger monitors would complicate either
arrangement.

Our newer lab has the computers in a u-shape, with monitors against
the walls.  The student stations are 48" wide, which allows for pair
work at one computer, now and then, and for very comfortable space
for a single student.  Everyone likes this lab better, as you might
suppose.

Derek

>> From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Recessed Monitors?
>
> ------------------
> Speaking of monitors below the desk level, what experience do you
> all have with these?  I've taught in a couple of labs around the
> country where they have this type of arrangement.  They have little
> plastic hoods over the glass to avoid the glare of overhead lights.
> I find students leaning over, peering into the glass at the
> monitor.  Thus their line of site is down, instead of more
> naturally forward, able to catch the movement of the instructor or
> easily glance at a projected image at the front.
>
> I guess I'm wondering if recessed monitors are such a good idea
> after all?  I'd be interested in feedback from those who have them
> and have used them extensively, and can compare with traditional
> monitor arrangements.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]