LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:20:28 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Gary Dauphin <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:07:20 -0500
>From: Gary Dauphin <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6000.4 European DVD's (!)

------------------
Unfortunately, the last regional code used gets locked into firmware,
and forced upon the manufacturer by the lobbying group for video.  I
know of no official or unofficial way to undo the firmware update, and
no, it is not just a preference file that can be thrown away.

My guess is that you are using DVD 1.0, your region has already been
permanently set, or you are using DVDs that have region 0 (no forced
region) in them.

Gary

Here's the official Apple technical info:

TITLE

Apple DVD Player: DVD-Video Region Discussion Article ID: Created:
Modified: 60183 3/25/99 1/11/01

TOPIC

This article discusses DVD-Video disc region codes, and how DVD Region
Manager software works with the Apple DVD Player application to
implement them.

DISCUSSION

Every DVD-Video disc has a region code, which limits where the disc can
be played. Region codes correspond to six different regions of the world
as defined by the DVD Forum. Region 1 includes Canada and the U.S.
Region 2 includes Japan, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle East, and
so forth. Discs that are coded Region 0 can be played in any part of the
world. DVD players--including Apple DVD Player--are generally limited to
playing discs of only one region, usually the region where the DVD
player was purchased. For example, DVD players purchased in Canada
usually only play Region 1 DVD-Video discs.

The Apple DVD Player is capable of playing discs from any region. Once
you play a disc, the DVD drive stores the disc's region in its memory
(called firmware) and limits you to playing discs from that region. For
example, a customer buys an iMac in Ireland, inserts a Region 2
DVD-Video disc into the drive, and watches the movie. By doing this, the
drive is now set to limit Apple DVD Player to play only Region 2 discs.

You can change the region the DVD drive is set to use up to five times.
DVD Region Manager software is what enables this. On the fifth time, the
drive is permanently set to use that region, and you cannot make any
more changes. For example, you have both a Region 1 and Region 2
DVD-Video disc. You insert the Region 1 disc and the Apple DVD Player is
now set to play only Region 1 discs. You insert the Region 2 disc, and
the Apple DVD Player is now set to play only Region 2 discs. If you
continue to switch between the discs, on the fifth time the DVD drive is
permanently set to use the region of that disc.

Notes: 1. Region 0 DVD-Video discs do not have a geographical boundary.
However, your DVD player and television must be compatible with the
video standard used to record the movie on the disc. You should be able
to play any Region 0 DVD-Video disc with the Apple DVD Player since it
is compatible with all video standards. 2. If you have Apple DVD Player
1.0, please see article 60761: "Apple DVD Player 1.0: Limited to Region
1 DVD-Video Discs" for information about playing discs of regions other
than 0 or 1.