LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:08:08 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Kanig <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 13:32:37 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: David Kanig <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: selecting color for transparency, Photoshop 6

How can I select one or more colors for transparency when saving a
.gif in Photoshop version 6?

Background: working on a Mac, I design an image (often involving
non-Roman characters) for the Web using a favorite program X (not
Photoshop, which works very poorly with text).  I capture that image
using a screen shot, resulting in a .pict file.  I open and
manipulate the .pict file in Photoshop 6.  When finished, I want to
save it as a .gif (or even a .jpeg), selecting one or more colors to
be transparent.

Selecting a color to be transparent was a straight-forward matter in
Photoshop 5 (by: 1. exporting the image in "Indexed Color" mode; 2.
selecting at the "Save As" step one or more colors with the
eyedropper to be transparent; and 3. saving as a .gif).  However, in
version 6, the "Export as Compuserve .gif" feature has been
eliminated, and replaced with the "Save for Web" feature.  (I cannot
server and has been replaced with version 6).

Has anyone discovered how to do this?  The User Guide from Adobe does
not directly address the question.

Thanks,

David Kanig
Language Center