LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:56:48 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:15:37 -0800
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International , "Information Forum" ,"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6000.1 European DVD's (!)

------------------
Hey, Karl:

Here's the scoop on DVDs:

You CAN buy region-free DVD players, and playback any DVD
without a problem on these players.  They tend to cost more than
standard players, but they do work.

On a Mac, you can play back DVDs from any region, but due to
copyprotection built into the DVD drives by the manufacturers, you
can only play non-US region DVDs up to about 5 times, before it
locks you into the last region you used.  You have to be careful not
to play a non-US DVD the last time on a Mac (it warns you each
time), because whatever region gets played on the 5th time, it
locks you into that region.

This is also true on Intel PCs, but there are hack programs
roaming around the internet that allow Macs and PCs to get
around the whole region issue.  Some of these work, some don't.
Worse, it depends on what OEM manufacturer actually made the
DVD drive in your computer.

Personally, I think the whole region locking was a shameful effort
by the video industry, but I can't change that.  We can only work
around it in whatever legal and ethical ways we can.

Gary Dauphin
Apple