LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:36:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
David Kanig <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> How can I select one or more colors for transparency when saving a
> .gif in Photoshop version 6?

GIF only supports one color nomination for transparency. PNG supports
many. If in PS 5 you exported Indexed Color images in the GIF 89a format
(File > Export...), in PS 6 you have a lot more transparency options
depending upon which file format you select. At any rate, the alpha
channels are selected with the eyedropper tool on the left side of the
Optimize panel, which you get when you Save for Web....

> I design an image (often involving
> non-Roman characters) for the Web using a favorite program X (not
> Photoshop, which works very poorly with text).  I capture that image
> using a screen shot, resulting in a .pict file.  I open and
> manipulate the .pict file in Photoshop 6.

PS 6 has even better text tools than 5, including text paths. In
general, if you work in text in PS at the size of the final output, you
won't get aliasing and resizing distortion that comes from changing the
image size. I'm not sure about this final point, but I believe that when
you take that screen shot on a Mac, you are reducing the color palette
of your image and dithering it, neither of which you may want to do in
the editing process. Real PS experts may want to correct me on this.

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph 617.353.7957  fx 617.353.6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll
WebFeat:        http://www.bu.edu/johndesz/