LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:35:59 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Peter Y <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:53:51 -0400
>From: Peter Y <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6057 Security issues

------------------
Dear Henry,

Putting streaming audio and video online has to do with copyright
issues. So first thing to do is to get permission from the copyright
holders for each item you decide to get online.

Then you have to think about how to make sure that the copyrighted
materials will only be accessed the ways your copyright permissions
allow. The server that serves streaming audio and video should have
security feature(s) that will allow you to directly control access to
streaming audio and video resources. You can also your Web server's
security feature(s) to limit access to Web pages display links to those
streaming audio and video resources. For example, you can use password
protection or use "Allowing" or "Denying" IPs, etc. to protect the
related Web directory or pages on your Web server. You can certainly als
use CGI on UNIX or ASP on IIS to safegard every page that gives access
to your audio and video resources.

Hope this helps,

Peter Yang