LLTI Archives

April 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:36:01 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:47:09 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>,        Kara Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6058 Subtitling

>> From: Kara Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
>
> A professor here is interested in having students subtitle movies.
>
> If you know of/ used any other programs specifically for subtitling
> with  PCs or Macs, I would like to hear and find out more about
> them. I  realize that there are programs like Adobe Premiere that
> would work but  I believe they would require alot of time to learn.

iMovie can do subtitling and version 1 is free.  Version 2 is better,
and costs $49.  The titling options are not as slick and flexible as
you would want, if you are doing a lot of this.  But for small
projects, the price is right and learning is easy.

QuickTime Pro ($29) will let you add text tracks.  Potentially
multiple tracks, in different languages.  Final Cut Pro ($249,
educational) has extensive titling options, among its extensive video
editing functions.  Like Premiere, it is big, complex and expensive
if subtitling is all you need.

What is the final medium?  Will the subtitled movies be viewed on a
computer or will they be exported to VHS tape, for viewing with a
TV/VCR?  What kind of audience and educational goals?

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]