LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:22:30 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Mary Morrisard-Larkin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:33:11 -0500
>From: "Mary Morrisard-Larkin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6012.4 Placement Exams (!)

------------------
This is the general information that I've shared with other people who have contacted me off-list.  Mary M-L

First of all, I would like to thank you for your inquiries regarding the Holy Cross digitized version of the Wisconsin placement test.  I have had at least a dozen responses since my posting on LLTI so I'm going to try and give everyone a general idea of what the test is about and then you can e-mail me again with your specific questions.

The University of Wisconsin placement exams exist for French, German and Spanish.  Each exam consists of a 60-minute Grammar and Reading Comprehension test and a 30-minute Listening Comprehension test.  In French and Spanish there are actually two versions of the grammar and reading test but at Holy Cross we have only digitized one version, FORM 901.  You may request paper copies of the test from Vivian Smith, Manager, Placement Test Division by contacting her via e-mail [log in to unmask] or phone 608-224-3899.  There is a small fee to obtain the tests.

At Holy Cross, we currently use only the Grammar and Reading Comprehension exams to place our students due to time constraints during freshman orientation.  The tests have been digitized so that they can be given on a web browser and have incorporated JavaScript programming which makes them self-correcting.  When students finish the test, a student's score appears on the screen and is also sent to a e-mail address that has been set-up especially for this purpose.  Faculty members then help students interpret that score so that they can make appropriate course selections.  The Listening Comprehension exam is constructed in the same way and uses real audio files.

There are two limitations to this test and its format.  Since we used JavaScript programming, it can only be given on a PC using Internet Explorer.  Similarly, Wisconsin would only give us permission to administer the exams on-campus in a controlled environment (e.g., computer lab).

Despite these limitations, we have been extremely pleased with the results.  This test has been very accurate in placing students in our elementary and intermediate level language courses.  We would be happy to help you modify the test so that it could be given at your institution once you have requested and received permission from Wisconsin to use their tests in a digitized format.

Thank you again for your interest.  I look forward to hearing from you.

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/27/01 08:30AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Marta Miller" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:23:12 -0500
>From: "Marta Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6012.2 Placement Exams (!)

------------------
It sounds interesting, let's get more information on it.  I also wanted to ask you if we ever ordered the College Board Practice Exams for AP Spanish Language.  Let me know, gracias!

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/23/01 08:13AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Mary Morrisard-Larkin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:13:13 -0500
>From: "Mary Morrisard-Larkin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6012 Placement Exams

------------------
We have also been using the Wisconsin Exams for French, German and Spanish.  About 2 years ago we requested permission from Wisconsin to digitize their exam so that we could put it on-line.  Now we pay them $1 for each student that takes the test on-line during our summer pre-registration.  We are allowed to share our digitized version with other schools if they first make a similar financial agreement with Wisconsin.  Please contact me off-list if you would like additonal information.  Mary M-L

Mary Morrisard-Larkin
Director, Self-Paced Language Program
College of the Holy Cross
One College St., Box 118A
Worcester, MA 01610

Office:  Stein 320
508-793-3796
508-793-3708
http://sterling.holycross.edu/departments/splp/website/index.html

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/19/01 02:40PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Carol Copenhagen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:43:55 -0800
>From: Carol Copenhagen <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Placement Exams

Dear friends - We are considering changing our placement exam and are
looking for suggestions.  We currently use the CAPE test and would like
to find something that might also test listening, writing and speaking
skills.  One of the options we are considering are the on-line placement
tests followed by an on-campus interview during orientation - does
anyone have any feedback about these tests?
Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions,

Carol Copenhagen

Language Coordinator
St. Mary's College
Moraga, Ca.  94575