LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:13:56 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen Yeazel <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: position opening at UC Davis
>Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:01:26 -0600
>From: Lauren Rosen Yeazel <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI message" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I was asked to forward this. Please do not reply to me.

VACANCY:

ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR
UC Consortium for Language Learning and Teaching
http://uccllt.ucdavis.edu

The newly created UC Consortium for Language Learning and Teaching has
the overall mission of fostering communication and collaboration among
the UC campuses across all language groups and disciplines that inform
the learning and teaching of foreign, classical, second, and heritage
languages.  The Consortium has four areas of responsibility: a)
Curricular planning and institutional programming; b) Research and
development in language learning and teaching; c) Professional
development of language teachers; and d) Outreach on the regional,
national, and international levels.

The Director of the UC Consortium seeks an Associate Director to
participate in project management and coordination, extramural fund
raising, and administration for the Consortium.

Project Management: the Associate Director will interact with faculty and
researchers to assist the Director in creating an intellectual and
professional forum where language teachers across the UC system can share
pedagogical expertise in foreign language learning and teaching.
Together with other UC colleagues, the Associate Director will coordinate
the planning activities for language teaching across the system to
encourage greater intercampus cooperation.  Events include conferences,
workshops, and colloquia.  Reporting to the Director, the Associate
Director will plan and undertake studies and collect data on academic and
disciplinary contexts for language instruction in order to make the
Consortium a clearinghouse for foreign language curricular and
pedagogical resources.

Extramural fund raising: identify public and private sources for
extramural funding; develop submissions responding to Request for
Proposals (RFPs) to secure funding for Consortium events, projects, and
activities.

Administration for the Consortium: manage operations at the Consortium
office located at UC Davis and conduct business associated with
priorities for the Director and the Consortium's Steering Committee.
Administer Consortium's grants program for professional development and
research projects.  Develop and implement systems for assessing the
immediate and long-term impact of funded research and education
activities on foreign language instruction across the system.

Type of position:  100% fiscal year

Salary:  Academic Coordinator IV(salary commensurate with qualifications)

Qualifications:  Demonstrated ability to pilot and implement new,
untested organizational structures involving multiple campuses and units
required.  Excellent communication skills including the ability to
interact with a variety of academic and administrative personnel.
Experience in giving presentations and planning workshops or conferences.
 Organizational abilities required to coordinate complex projects in a
university environment.  Experience in extramural fund raising and
writing grant proposals and responding to RFPs.  Ability to gather
information, identify relevant factors and key issues, and make
recommendations for activities that could help promote intercampus
collaboration.  Familiarity with peer-reviewed grants program.  Knowledge
of university contracts, grants, and budget administration preferred.

 Applications:  Review of applications will begin on March 31, 2001 and
continue until the position is filled.  Send letter of application,
resume, and the names and addresses of three references to:  UC
Consortium for Language Learning and Teaching, Search Committee, attn:
Karen Lillis, 220 Voorhies Hall, One Shields Ave., UC Davis, Davis, CA
95616-8601.  Faxed (530-754-7152) or e-mailed ([log in to unmask])
applications accepted.

The University of California, Davis, and the UCcLLT are interested in
candidates who are committed to the highest standard of scholarship and
professional activities, and to the development of a campus climate that
supports equality and diversity.  The University of California is an
affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.