LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:13:54 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:32:24 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6020 lab console

------------------
Here at UF, the console is used most heavily by corrective
phonetic/pronunciation courses in French and English. The ESL instructors
used to use it extensively but now they have migrated somewhat to computers,
or reduced class size to the point where it's not needed. We had some great
partnering exercises and drill classes for a while, too--basically there are
some instructors who really believe in it and can come up with good
material. I myself find the console extremely useful for all kinds of
things, from editing tapes to testing.

One major use is in administering speaking and listening tests.  UF uses the
labs to administer TSE, SPEAK, and state teacher's certification tests in
the languages. The booths make it a great testing room.

But our machine is a Sony 5500 and is dying, slowly and with many gasps and
groans, as we work on replacing it with a digital version, and one thing
that has become unreliable is the master tape players; this has alienated
some teachers (and it means that administering a test requires lots of tact
and TLC). It was a bit difficult to make clear to the administration why
this kind of connectivity (which requires hardware) is desirable in an
increasingly virtual world (where CAN-8 looks good, with its console-less
interface). But I think it is extremely useful and the digital version will
be used at least as much as the analog version was. We will not be able to
give tests that require a cassette recording but I expect that other types
of speaking, listening, or dictee testing will be fine with a digital recording.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida

>>Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:31:00 -0500
>>From: Edward Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>>Subject: lab console
>
>------------------
>Dear Folks,
>
>We, meaning Bettina and I, are in the process of spending money to turn our
Sony LLC9000 classroom into
>a computer classroom. Although the system isn't ancient, the amount of
renovation needed in the room
>for accommodating computers has brought us to the conclusion that we should
either replace the current
>Sony console system with a new digital system or get rid of the console
completely. The decision to
>replace or trash depends upon faculty input. We've organized a faculty
committee, are currently making
>site visits with faculty, and will soon be inviting vendors to do a
demonstration to help faculty and
>us make an informed decision. As part of the information process, we would
be very interested in
>hearing stories from the field with regard to faculty use of the console as
a teaching tool in the
>classroom. Basically, we would like to know, if the console is collecting
dust or is it being used as
>it was intended, i.e. for  interactive teaching / learning, modeling,
pairing, monitoring, etc. You can