LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:13:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 06:41:25 -0600 (CST)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: Re: #6018.3 Mac and PC Language Lab (!)

------------------
At UTMartin, FL faculty have Macs and we have a 22-station Mac lab
(many are iMacs).  The administration forced us to accept a PC as an
administrative computer.  So far, since we got the PC, there have
been 3 times as many repair calls to the computer center for the PC
as there have been for all the other computers
combined.

It took me 5 times as long teach time saving techniques to the PC
users (for admin functions) as it took me to teach the same for
MACs

Accents are an awful problem with PCs.  Anyone who says otherwise is
either using one kind of application, or has memorized the numerical
strings for extended ascii.  Yes, I know about the US-International
keyboard, but this is not a great solution, because most people can't
find it (not installed in their personal
machines).

In general, when I finsish a day's work, I want to beat my chest
about what my computer helped me do, not about how clever and
"dÈbrouillard" I have been in solving computer problems.  I find many
PC people talk more about computing than about what they have
actually done with their
machines.

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D.
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
University of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.org/french/globe.html
e-mail [log in to unmask]