LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:12:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:45:31 -0600
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: lab console

Ed,

We have two computer labs.  One is a Sony
Console lab for listening and speaking,
complete with Elmo, t.v.s, VCR,
CD-player and Analyzer for Multiple
Choice tests. The other is a computer
lab, whose aging audio system has since
been taken out of commission and been
replaced with digitized audio that cannot
be controlled or monitored by a larger
system.

What we have found is a definite division
between the labs.  The lab with the
console is strong for listening and
speaking.  (All the features of the lab
are used.)  The computer lab is strong
for multi-media work and access to
on-line resources.  It also has very
clear audio sound and decent video
capabilities.

I guess what is particularly interesting
about our situation is what we are
finding is happening in our computer lab.
 Because there is no inter-active console
for the lab assistants, we are finding
that increasingly, the lab assistants are
not filling as influential a role as once
before.  When we had a console, the lab
assistants could listen to oral
production and help with pronunciation
much more effectively.  However, more
importantly, the students viewed the lab
assistants as a more integral part of
their lab experience.  They were much
more regarded as the instructors and as
supervisors as well as a resource.
Activities were more controlled and
students tended to treat the lab more
seriously.

Now we have increasing problems with
keeping students on task.  Students ask
fewer questions. Lab assistants have more
difficulty hearing an individual
student's oral production and therefore
has more difficulty helping them.  In
fact, in some cases, students will view
them as merely there for technical
assistance.  And the lab is viewed more
as a self-study rather than as a required
hour of learning.

We are still struggling with how we might
increase lab assistant/student
interaction while still making use of the
"lab" features and avoiding slipping into
a classroom.  There is a definite
insistence on moving into a new modern,
but fully equiped lab as soon as
possible.