LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:30:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Karina Wright <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:17:44 -0500
>From: Karina Wright <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6032 LL furniture/layout dilemma
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
My lab has 15 stations divided into 3 rows with each row in a 3x2
configuration (the three stations on one side of the aisle are each 4 feet
wide and the two of the other side of the aisle are 5 feet wide (all are 30"
deep).  Each station has a divider between it and the one next to it for
some privacy and soundproofing (we use miked headphones, so it is actually
reasonably quiet with even a full class).

The rows face a white-boarded wall which satisfies the instructional need.
However, the width of the stations and the use of rolling seating allows 2
or 3 students to be able to sit at one station and work together with
reasonable ease (I know this happens, because I have to come and rearrange
my chairs every morning).