LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:25:52 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:21:29 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6018 Mac and PC Language Lab - help the argument

------------------
What would be "compelling" depends on your school's goals.  I think
first of two pieces of Mac-only software that are very valuable for
our program, iMovie and Gemini.  The first is the widely-known simple
video editing software from Apple.  Its simplicity and low cost make
it a reasonable choice for a student lab.  Using video production as
a vehicle for foreign language learning is an exciting and motivating
approach, which we are trying out.  A CALICO presentation by
Fransiska Lys of Northwestern showed an even more impressive project,
in which German students produced and edited video interviews of
native German speakers.  She says her presentation will be up on the
web in a week or so.  If we can figure out the URL, anyone can take a
look.

Gemini is the child of the Libra authoring system, both developed at
Southwest Texas University specifically for authoring language
teaching lessons.  While there are hundreds of authoring systems
available, few are simple enough that average faculty can use them to
produce good lessons quickly.   We have many faculty members who have
taken workshops in one authoring system or another, but never produce
anything, because they don't feel they have the time or the fluency
to get something done.

Conversely, simple authoring systems aren't customized for language
teaching.  They tend to require too much work to develop the needed
lesson elements.  I see Gemini as a good compromise, with
flexibility, power, and a short learning curve.  A web-browser
plug-in allows accessing lessons via the web with no modification of
the original lesson.

So, if I were making a pitch for Macs here, I would show the
advantages of these two elements of our program.  Good luck.

Derek

>> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:06:38 -0500
>> From: Pia Cseri-Briones <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Mac and PC Language Lab - help the argument
>
> We run a small language lab here at the University of Rochester
> with  both PCs and Macs.
> We would like to keep it  that way but we are getting pressure from
> the "management" to abandon the Macs and go completely PC. So we
> are  trying to come up with very compelling reasons to convince the
> "management" that we need to keep the Mac platform.
>
> Any suggestions you might have to the argument: why the Macs need
> to  stay, would be appreciated.
>
> We have some compelling reasons but feel we need more fuel to add
> to  the fire, so any help, past experience from other LLTI-ers
> would be  great.
>

> Thanks
> Pia

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-4804 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]