LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:22:56 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 11:41:13 -0600
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #5981 static while digitizing audio tapes
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Becky,

It sounds like you may have more than one problem.  I don't think either is
dirty tape heads.

The low hum may be a 60 cycle hum from the AC power source.  Try running a
wire from a known ground to either the computer and/or the tape deck.  The
ground could be a radiator, a metal outlet cover plate, etc.

Good luck.

Tom Browne

--On Wednesday, March 7, 2001 11:06 AM -0500 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:rr

> --- Forwarded Message from adaer <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:32:12 -0500
>> Sender: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>> From: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: static while digitizing audio tapes
>
> ------------------
> Hello fellow IALLers,
>
> We are experiencing a lot of problems with static while digitizing audio
> tapes. We clean the heads before each use, then use the "smooth and
> enhance"  feature.  This leaves a low humming noise along with the
> impression that the  recording was made in an auditorium.
>
> We are using Sound Forge XP 4.5.  Some tapes have come out fine.
>

> Has anyone else had this problem?  Or if not, do you have any suggestions
> how  we might fix it?
>
> Many thinks in advance,
>
> Becky Adae

> Ms. Rebecca Adae
> Language Lab Coordinator
> State University of New York at New Paltz
> 75 S. Manheim Blvd., New Paltz, NY 12561-2440 USA
> 845.257.3609  (fax)845.257.3608

Thomas Browne
Humanities Resource Center
Macalester College