LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:27:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Carol H. Reitan" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:57:17 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Carol H. Reitan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5981 static while digitizing audio tapes

------------------
Hi,

We're also having trouble with static, but only on one machine. We've
successfully made about 40 mp3 files from audio cassettes using CoolEdit.
The PC has a yamaha sound card- the basic one that comes with the machine.
We spent some time fiddling with the settings, but settled on mono, 16bit
resolution, and a sample rate of 22050. Then we converted to mp3 with a
maximum bandwith of 11025 and constant bitrate of 24kbps. This seemed to
work ok, no static. (If anyone can suggest better settings, we would love
to hear of them!)

Then, on a different machine, this one with a SoundBlaster PCI 128 sound
card, using CoolEdit at the exact same settings, using the same tape deck,
even the same cord for line in, we get so much static, the sound we want
is barely audible. Other sounds on the computer sound fine, so it is
definitely the recording that is causing the static. Maybe our problem is
the same as Becky's. Any suggestions (besides doing all of our digitizing
on the first machine?)

Carol Reitan

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from adaer <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:32:12 -0500
> >Sender: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
> >From: adaer <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: static while digitizing audio tapes
>
> ------------------
> Hello fellow IALLers,
>
> We are experiencing a lot of problems with static while digitizing audio
> tapes. We clean the heads before each use, then use the "smooth and enhance"
> feature.  This leaves a low humming noise along with the impression that the
> recording was made in an auditorium.
>
> We are using Sound Forge XP 4.5.  Some tapes have come out fine.
>

> Has anyone else had this problem?  Or if not, do you have any suggestions how
> we might fix it?
>
> Many thinks in advance,
>
> Becky Adae

> Ms. Rebecca Adae
> Language Lab Coordinator
> State University of New York at New Paltz
> 75 S. Manheim Blvd., New Paltz, NY 12561-2440 USA
> 845.257.3609  (fax)845.257.3608

Carol H. Reitan, Language Center
City College of San Francisco
http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~creitan