LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:27:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Carly Born" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>>[log in to unmask] $B$5$s$O=q$+$l$^$7$?!#(J:
>--- Forwarded Message from Janis Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>From: Janis Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: audio splitting
>>Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:58:59 -0500
>
>Does anyone know of a good (i.e.cheap) way to split audio going in and
>coming out of a computer.  We have 2 students each with their own
>headphone/mic set to every (one) workstation.  I am looking for a way to
>let
>each student both hear and respond to classroom activities.  They would
>both
>need to hear at the same time but not have to respond at the same time.
>Any
>workable ideas????? Thanks so much- the listserve has been invaluable in
helping us get our lab together!

Janis Smith
Director, Becker Language Lab/Media Center
Reconstructionist Rabbinical College

I just did this at our Language and Technology Center. Our computers are
underneath the tables, so we not only wanted to have two students be able
to listen to the same audio output, but needed to have the jacks extended
so that they were more accessible to the students.  So I decided to build
my own!

I went to Radio Shack and bought a splitter, some plugs and jacks and
then went to an electronic store for some 3-conductor sheilded wire.  We
got very small plastic project boxes from the electronic store and
mounted the jacks inside them and then screwed them to the underside of
the table just next to each side of the keyboard.

So far they have been working great.  The only catch was that we are
using G4s with the proprietary microphone plugs, so we weren't able to
make extensions for those.  We did however, make both headphone and
microphone extensions for the PCs we have upstairs and they are working
very nicely.

Carly J. Born
Manager - Max Kade Language & Technology Center
Monterey Institute of International Studies