LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:10:10 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Chris <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:25:38 -0500
>From: Chris <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: AV switchers

Dearest IALLers,

I'm putting together a proposal for outfitting out language classrooms
with A/V equipment.  This should include DVD/CD (does that Infinity, now
Odyssey, really take EVERYthing and output to NTSC?  Noone seems to
believe me when I tell them), VHS, teacher computer, and possible video
presentation stand and sound reinforcement mic.

Part of my goal is to make it user friendly to the average tech-unsavvy
faculty member.  To me, that means reducing to an absolute minimum the
number of buttons they press.  The logical solution would seem to be an
A/V swither which will simultaneously send audio to the amps and
speakers and the video to the 32" monitor.  Are others doing this, and
if so what are you using and how happy are you with your results?  I
have found some chincy looking devices in the $50 range, but I'm afraid
of "you get what you pay for" results.  Then I've seen the hi end models
which price out at $650 or higher.  Is there anything in between?

Someone has suggested that the ATI all in wonder raddion card would
allow me to perform this function with the teacher worstation, but I'm a
bit skeptical.

Thanks for your input.

Chris Alberg
Walpole High School