LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:49:05 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "M. A. Wyszynski" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:00:44 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "M. A. Wyszynski" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5988 Graduate reading requirements

------------------
Here at U Akron, the home departments are responsible for sending several
texts to the Mod Lang dept.  We then pick one appropriate one, establish a
portion to be translated, and then give a Pass to any reasonable
translation.  Of course, in this case, tranlating meaning is paramount, and
awkward style is not penalized.  We've have very few problems with this
method.  The students are working with familiar material (at least as far
as content), and the graders also can pick the selection they feel most
comfortable grading.

Matt Wyszynski
U of Akron