LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:48:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Carly Born" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:58:58 -0800
>Subject: Re: #5991 How to type Arabic in Win9x and MAC OS9?
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Carly Born" <[log in to unmask]>

>------------------
>Dear LLTI,
>How can one a)type Arabic fonts and b)type from right to left in
>Windows9x
>and on the MAC using OS9?  (I only found one related question about this
>in
>the LLTI archive but no replies)
>
>WINDOWS9x:
>I have already found some Arabic fonts on the web and downloaded them.  I
>can now type in Arabic (I don't speak or read it), but how can one type
>from right to left?
>
>MACINTOSH OS9:
>I have not tried anything yet.  Any quick pointer into the right
>direction
would be appreciated.  (I heard about the Arabic Language Kit included in
OS9)
I found good instructions at http://www.cam.ac.uk/CS/Docs/Infosheets/l21/

Dear Olaf,

I don't know about typing right to left in Windows, but I was successful
on my Mac G4, OS 9.0.4 with Word 2001.  Here is what I did:

After I registered Word for Arabic using the Language Kit on the OS9
system disk, everything in Word became right-justified.  Thought the
cursor still begins on the left side of the page, when I typed the newest
characters inserted on the left pushing the rest of the sentence to the
right.  Essentially, it was allowing right-to-left text.

This did not work before registering Word as Arabic (using the Language
Register in the Utilities folder).  So as long as you register the
application it may even work with Word 98.  I don't have that version
running on any of the machines here anymore, so I cannot test it.

Carly J. Born
Manager - Max Kade Center
MATFL-Japanese Candidate (May 2001)
Monterey Institute of International Studies