LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:48:44 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:37:27 -0500
>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: job opening at Wesleyan Univ. CT

Hello to all.  I am posting this as a favor to a
colleague.  Please send all questions to the address
listed in the ad, NOT to me.  Best, Mike Ledgerwood

Wesleyan University
Director, Language Resource Center

Wesleyan University seeks a Director of the Language Resource Center who
will supervise a state-of-the art, 30-station multimedia facility and
provide technology support for language teaching at Wesleyan.  The
Director will assume a leadership role in researching and testing
current and emerging technologies for language instruction as well as in
promoting their use in the curriculum, primarily in association with
faculty who teach Asian Languages and Literatures, German Studies,
Romance Languages and Literatures, Russian Language and Literature, and
Hebrew, but also with faculty from other departments.  He or she will
conduct and coordinate presentations and training workshops for the
faculty on topics germane to technology and language pedagogy.  The
director will report to the Dean of Arts and Humanities and will be
responsible for the hiring, training, and supervision of the LRC staff,
which includes an assistant director and team of student workers.  He or
she will be aided by a committee of faculty and administrators.  The
director will work with Academic Computing Services in developing and
implementing technologies for foreign language instruction for both
conventional and self-instructional methodologies; in supervising the
maintenance of the Center's equipment; in designing and supporting
multimedia classrooms; and in overseeing the budget for the LRC. The
Director of the LRC will also work closely with the Director of
Wesleyan's Office of International Studies in coordinating the
instruction of less commonly taught languages, and in developing
multimedia and intercultural resources.
The Director will collaborate with faculty and administrative colleagues
in seeking outside funding for new initiatives.

QUALIFICATIONS:

-       Advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
-       Knowledge of instructional technologies and pedagogical resources used
in language teaching for both digital (Web, PC and Macintosh platforms)
and analog delivery.
-       Training in language pedagogy and methodology.
-       Teaching experience of one or more languages other than English highly
desirable.
-       Excellent organizational, communication, and management skills.
-       Extensive administrative experience and proven ability to interact
effectively with technical staff as well as with faculty, students, and
administrators.

Please send questions and applications to

Prof. Antonio Gonzalez, Chair of the Search Committee
Dept. of Romance Languages and Literatures
Wesleyan University
300 High St
Middletown, CT 06459

(860) 685 2830