LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:07:12 EST
--- Forwarded Message from LeeAnn Stone <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:16:18 -0800 (PST)
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: LeeAnn Stone <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Benefits/Drawbacks of expanding

------------------ Colleagues,

        I asked for input some time ago regarding the benefits/drawbacks
of expanding services to outside units or departments. I ended up actually
addressing this issue in conjunction with the Language Centre at U Vic in
the chapter I worte for IALL's new Lab Design Kit (will be available in May),
but I'd like to provide some brief summary of other responses here since a
number of people indicated an interest.

        The issue presents a mixed bag of benefits and drwabacks. Leslie
Graul andTom Browne provided most of the following feedback.

Negatives  include:

In a small, liberal arts college this expansion is probably the only way to continue to support a'"language lab".  It can be difficult to justify the expenses of staffing (one  person!) and equipment for a facility that supports a discipline boasting so few majors.

Added amount of work that this expansion entails.  In addition to helping with all the foreign language materials acquisition, duplication and use, we give workshops to train people to learn to use various types of technology.  We try to provide written instructions for the use of all our equipment and assist in getting them started with its use.  Unfortunately, they often need or want more help.  In spite of all our efforts at training them and providing instructions, we often find ourselves helping them with their projects, if only to hold their hands while they do the work.

The danger in providing a center for many disciplines is that we have no time to get our own work done.  We have always gone out of our way to support the foreign languages; the other disciplines want (and need) extra treatment, too.

Another danger is the tendency of so many faculty and staff to try to get us to do the work for them: preparing their PowerPoint presentation, editing their video materials, scanning their images and documents, etc.  They seem to believe that this is one of the services provided, rather than supporting them in their use of the equipment.

Positives include:

The expansion can help provide extra money for equipment and materials.  On several occasions, we were able to get grant money that was earmarked for multidisciplinary areas.  We were also able to combine budgets with other college departments to purchase equipment that was too expensive for one department to afford.

We (hope we) help to promote the study of foreign languages by getting other faculty, staff and students into our lab.  While here on other business, they can step up to any of our four satellite receiving stations where foreign language programming is available.

The big advantage for me was that I was able to get better equipment and
support from both the media services and computing departments.

It seems that politics often influence how funding is allocated.  The more
departments I serve, the more funding I get for new equipment and
replacement of old machines.

LeeAnn Stone