LLTI Archives

March 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:06:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Charles Hannon" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: CFP: Data in the Classroom
>Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:14:34 -0500
>From: "Charles Hannon" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Note: We would be particularly interested in papers addressing the use
of digital language labs:

Call for Papers
Practicum in Instructional Technology
Collaborations in Bringing Data to the Classroom
June 3-6, 2001
Gettysburg College

The Instructional Technology and Training group of Information Resources
and Computing at Gettysburg College invite you to share your classroom
successes with your colleagues at our Annual Practicum in Instructional
Technology.  This year we wish to focus on how people are using
technology to bring data to the classroom.  This would cover uses of
data across a wide variety of disciplines and we are particularly
interested in projects that serve to show the benefits of collaboration
between instructional support staff and faculty.  We would like to
define data rather broadly; some examples would include:

·     Digital Media in Language Instruction
·     Interesting uses of spreadsheets and databases
·     Web-enabled data collection
·     Data-sharing
·     GIS data in the sciences, history, economics, etc
·     Web-enhanced data handling
·     Development of Media Databases
·     Projects using data in interesting ways, teaching
·     On-line experimentation

Our target audience will be both faculty and technology professionals
that support instructional initiatives in the classroom.  Our intent is
to make it attractive for institutions to send a team consisting of
instructional technologists  and faculty so they can (a) see the
approaches other schools are taking and leave with a better
understanding of the challenges we all face, (b) experience some
solutions that they can take home, and (c) energize discussions and
projects at their home institutions.  Presentations that involve a
collaborating team then would be especially appropriate and would be
given special consideration.   Presenters must register for the
conference.

We envision that papers, panels, demonstrations, or other formats would
be given in one hour timeslots.  If you think you would need a different
period of time please provide that information as well.  Detailed
information on registration, accommodations, and A/V needs will be
forthcoming.  Registration fees will not exceed $150 for a team of two
people, or $100 for one presenter.  If you are interested in making a
presentation, please send your name(s), title, mailing and e-mail
address, title of your presentation, and a 150-200 word abstract that
accurately describes your presentation idea.  The deadline for
submission is March 30, 2001.  Notification of acceptance status will be
complete by April 15, 2001.  Please send  this information to:

Sharon Birch
Practicum Chair
Information Resources
Gettysburg College