LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:27:02 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Patrick and Karen Audant" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Patrick and Karen Audant" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Language :Lab Consultant postion for K-12 public school system
>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:21:53 -0500

------------------
Dear LLTI Colleagues:

The Arlington Public School system is located in the metropolitan
Washington, DC area and currently serves approximately 20,000 students in
Pre-K to 12 education. At present approximately 10,000 students are enrolled
in 3 secondary schools, 4 intermediate schools, and several alternative 6-12
programs.  Foreign languages are offered at both the intermediate and
secondary levels. Students pursue up to five years of language study in
French, German, Latin, Spanish or Japanese (the latter via distance
education, 2-year sequence).

Arlington Public Schools (APS) has a long history of active citizen
involvement in all curricular areas. Residents with particular expertise,
such as foreign languages, are encouraged to serve as members of Citizens'
Advisory Committees. Each Advisory Committee follows a formal procedure in
order to make recommendations to the County School Board regarding
curriculum. The Foreign Language Advisory Committee, which we are
representing, is currently developing recommendations concerning technology
utilization in foreign language instruction. One of our draft
recommendations is that APS retain the services of a consultant to assess
existing resources and make recommendations concerning the acquisition of
language lab resources.

We envision that the scope of work for a consultant would include:
I. Needs analysis and utilization of existing labs
II. Basic elements of space and design related to APS needs
III. Special considerations in space and design, including electrical usage
and networking concerns
IV.  Special considerations in space and design-different usages including:
1. Studios
2. Study Spaces
3. Libraries
4. Teaching Labs
5. Smart Classrooms
6. Mobile Labs
V. Staffing needs and institutional issues
VI. Price estimates
VII. Funding

Potential consultants should define the "level of effort" required to
complete the task and a budget estimate.
Interested persons should respond off-list to:
Keith Oberg, [log in to unmask] and Karen Audant, [log in to unmask]