LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:00:08 EST
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:16:12 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5967 backup for servers

------------------
Our server, used for web, chat and a few other things, but not heavey on
sofware dispensing to lab patrons, is on an old PM 7600 (using MkLinux and
Apache), we have bored and stroked it, bak up the the box (not monitor)
with a UPS, and it has been up for as many as 290 days at a time, with no
glitches, but I will probably be replacing it within the year.  I have
varied feelings on backup.  One of our problems is that unless you
substitute a box with an identical IP and domain name (+ identically
structured files), you are going to lose users.  Gobe-Gate gets well over a
half a million hits per year, and some patrons directly link specific pages
(which are spread over  four servers).  If I set up a home page on another
box, it will have to have an alternate set of link pages, and.  When I get
my new server, I will set my pages up so that everyone using them will be
regularly exposed to its alternate (I currently do not have alternates
[mirrors] for all pages).

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.org/french/globe.html