LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:18:49 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5952 Hardware and "Wireless labs"
>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:15:06 -0500

------------------
Hi, Fatima:

Truth to tell, I wouldn't go completely wireless unless you have an absolute
need to do so.  Wireless throughput is 11Mb/s, shared -- unless you have an
Ethernet port/base station setup for each machine in your lab.  So, two
machines on the same base station will drop the throughput to 5.5Mb/s, and
so on.  This is at least true of 2.4GHz wireless, which is the most common
option currently available.

We have just finished installing a wireless network setup for our language
building, using three base stations (one on each floor).  The idea behind
this is that faculty members will be able to check out a laptop with a
wireless network card in it, walk into a classroom anywhere in the building,
and be on the network without the hassle of plugging in an Ethernet cable
(you'd be surprised how difficult this is for many of them ...).  We're
trading bandwidth for ease of use.

By all means, make wireless an option for your facility.  Think carefully
about your network needs before committing to it as the primary option.  As
faster Ethernet comes down the pike in the near future (think 1Gb to the
desktop!), you'll want to be in a position to take fullest advantage of it.

a.

Andrew F. Ross, Ph.D
Director, Multimedia Language Lab
G15 Puryear Hall
University of Richmond,  VA   23173
Tel: (804) 287-6838

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup."