LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:20:09 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:51:10 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5951 Composition software for Spanish & French

------------------
We are using Commonspace (from Fifth Floor Media) in English, German,
Spanish and Italian ... French was on back order last time I checked.
The program is excellent for peer editing and teacher correction in
that it works using separate side by side columns and thus multiple
drafts (and comments) can be viewed simultaneously.  It comes with a
spell checker and also an easy to use chat program that supports all
Latin based languages.  It easily converts to and from Word and
WordPerfect (columns are converted into footnotes) so that students
can work on papers at home.  There are some minor glitches we have
noticed (unexplained crashes when saving), but the students really
like it ... especially in comparison to Daedalus.
Jonathan Perkins, Assistant Director
Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center
University of Kansas
1445 Jayhawk Blvd, Room 4069