LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:23:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:45:47 -0400
>Subject: Re: #5949 nonlinear digital video system
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Marc-

My set-up is a dual 500MHz processor, Mac G-4.  I have a Sony media
converter (DV hardware codec converter, model # DVMC-DA2) to handle the
analog inputs.  I have a four pin (the converter) to six-pin (the computer)
firewire cable that connects the two. I use Final Cut Pro and Cleaner for
editing and compression. (But you also need QuickTime Pro for
self-containing the movie first.)

That said, another very important consideration is storage of your files
during the editing process.  The Mac G4 that I have only came with 40Gig. At
(roughly) 1 Gig per 5 minutes of uncompressed video--this fills up fast.
(Also the drive should be partitioned for the storage of video files.)  So I
move my files to the larger media server for temporary storage.  Luckily, my
office is right on the campus backbone so I have a very speedy (and large)
connection to the server.  This is not a perfect solution by any means. I am
hoping to get a San Cube  after the turn of the fiscal year.  The San Cube
from MicroTechnology and is highly recommended by Apple.  Units range from
90-450 Gig.  (Connection to the Mac is via firewire.)

Has anyone out there got one of these San Cubes? Are you happy with it?

on 2/16/01 4:59 PM, LLTI-Editor at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Marc Boots-Ebenfield <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:40:53 -0500
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> From: Marc Boots-Ebenfield <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: nonlinear digital video system
>
> I have convened a group at Bryn Mawr to purchase a nonlinear video editing
> system.  I am hoping to get some feedback on systems that you use and like.
> To be brief, we would like a system that:
> is easy to use (for student use),
> provides analog inputs for VHS material
> provides DV input/output (firewire)
> provides high quality (full motion, full screen) digitization of VHS tapes
> provides a variety of compression routines
> outputs high quality video to tape
> is robust
>
> Yes, we want it all.  Do you have a system that does all/most of this and
> you are happy with?
>
> You can reply to me directly or to the list.  If you have a suggestion for
> another list on which to post this, please let me know.
> -Marc

Mary Fetherston
Interim Supervisor, Language Lab                  401-874-4719/20
University of Rhode Island                              fax: 874-4694
60 Upper College Road, Suite 3                      [log in to unmask]
Kingston, RI 02881
?º°`°º?ø,$FC$FC,ø?º°`°º?ø?º°`°º?ø,$FC$FC,ø?º°`°º?ø?º°`°º?ø,$FC$FC,ø?º°`°º?ø

-- Arthur C. Clarke