LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:03:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Susan Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Susan Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:12:30 -0400EDT
>Subject: Re: #5930 title?

My official title is "Coordinator" here at the University of Vermont.
When the position was created in 1986, they decided to make it a
coordinator position in order not to have to pay big bucks to the
person in the job.  I have tried without success to get it upgraded to
director, which is the true nature of the position--but was told by our
Human Resources that it would "raise some questions" from our
auditors because my salary is so much lower than that of the
directors of other programs.  They also used the excuse that the
Language Resource Center is neither an academic program nor a
department, and "you can't be a director unless you're in one of
those areas." But they told me I could feel free to use the director
title anywhere outside of the university if it made me feel better...!
Given that last semester we had over 3000 sign-ins to the Resource
Center (students coming in to work on either audio or computer), it
seems to me that we should be given a little more respect!  Sorry to
go on and on...just one of my personal beefs.

--- Forwarded Message from Annick Deakin <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 16:13:27 -0400
>From: Annick Deakin <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: title?

Hi all,
Most Language Learning Centres are managed by a "Director". Are
there
other titles for the position which manages and maintains a Language
Learning Centre, administers a network, train users etc? Thank you,
Annick --

_
Annick Deakin, Language Learning Centre, University of Western
Ontario
London - Ontario, Canada,  519 661 2104   <[log in to unmask]>

Susan Breeyear, Language Resource Center Coordinator
200 Southwick Building
University of Vermont
Burlington, Vermont 05405

VOICE:802-656-7856