LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:02:10 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:13:58 -0400
>Subject: Re: #5946 quicktime files
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Beth,

MP3 files are already compressed.  If you want to work with these files, you
can use the import function in QuickTime and then save as .mov files.  You
can then compress them.  I have experimented with MP3 recently on some
German files which weren't working well with Qualcomm PureVoice in Cleaner.
On most files, the compression was better than IMA or MACE (the codecs in
QuickTime) and the quality was better.

Mary

on 2/13/01 9:21 AM, LLTI-Editor at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:30:39 -0500
>> From: Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: quicktime files
>
> Dear LLTIers
>
> I have been using QTPro to edit/compress video and audio files. I gave
> some audiocassettes to another entity on campus to digitize so that I
> could then edit them. It appears that they are mpeg audio files (when I
> extract the audio track). Although I can edit the files, the normal
> "options" button I would use to further compress the audio (using
> export) is greyed out and not available. Does anyone know what the
> problem might be? I would like compress these files further. Thank you,
> Beth
>
> Beth Secrist, Director
> Language Resource Center
> Dept. of Modern Foreign Langs. & Lits.
> University of Tennessee
> Knoxville, TN  37996

Mary Fetherston
Interim Supervisor, Language Lab                  401-874-4719/20
University of Rhode Island                              fax: 874-4694
60 Upper College Road, Suite 3                      [log in to unmask]
Kingston, RI 02881
?º°`°º?ø,$FC$FC,ø?º°`°º?ø?º°`°º?ø,$FC$FC,ø?º°`°º?ø?º°`°º?ø,$FC$FC,ø?º°`°º?ø

-- Arthur C. Clarke