LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:03:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:58:49 -0600
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #5927 DVD plays on Mac but not PC or DVD player...
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
The DVD players in computers (both Mac and PC) will play any region out of
the box.  However, after you have played or changed zones five times, the
DVD player will "set" itself to that zone and you will be able to play DVDs
only from that zone.  So be careful what you play in your DVD drive.

My understanding is that this is done in ROM somewhere so reloading the
software will not give you five more plays.

I guess the trick here is to have five Macs, one for each region.

Good luck

Tom Browne

--On Wednesday, February 7, 2001 8:48 AM -0500 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:rr

> --- Forwarded Message from Christopher Ott <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:22:22 -0600
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> From: Christopher Ott <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: DVD plays on Mac but not PC or DVD player...
>
> I have a DVD that I bought last year in Prague which plays fine on a
> Mac, but not on a PC or a classroom DVD player.  Any ideas what could
> be wrong?
>
> I've heard that there are differing DVD formats, sort of like there
> are with videotapes.  (Why can't we all just get along? : )  This one
> is apparently DVD-2: any idea why it works on Macs but not other
> players, or what could be done about it?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions...
> Chris Ott

Thomas Browne
Humanities Resource Center