LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:37:24 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Joel Goldfield <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:36:04 -0500 (EST)
>From: Joel Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #5910.8 an all-digital Mac LL ? (!)

We are using the Teleste (Tandberg) digital lab package of
Library Pilot (file management), Imperata (computer-based
lab console simulation)
and Divace (media playback) on a limited basis at Fairfield
University under a recently funded Rockefeller Brothers
grant (see www.fairfield.edu/calendar/webfeatures/modlang.htm
and _American Language Review_, Nov./Dec. 2000, p. 66).
There are 2 servers, the multimedia one and the "Mediator,"
which handles the requests, etc. While bandwidth plays
a critical role in whether up to 70 or so users receive smoothly
streamed video & audio in our implementation, there is no question
that they can play back different streams starting at different
times potentially from many different files.  Also see the
review of Divace in July/Aug. 2000 _American Language Review_,
p. 60.  We've successfully run this on G3 and G4 Macs with
Connectix's Virtual PC and are about to test VPC with Imperata,
probably first on my G3 PowerBook.

Regards,
Joel Goldfield
=====
[Loreen and Kirk wrote:]
------------------
>--- Forwarded Message from "Loreen Stone" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>From: "Loreen Stone" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information
>>Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: #5910.4 an all-digital Mac LL ? (!)
>>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:12:45 -0600
>
>------------------
>Actually, the digital version of Tannberg will allow movies to be played at
>student stations individually, allowing the sort of control one might wish.
>The movie would have to have been loaded to a server first, and then each
>student can access at will. (We have a PC lab; I'm assuming there is a
>corresponding Mac product as well.)

Well, exactly!  But no, not unless they are keeping it a secret.
And that in fact was what launched this whole discussion.

Kirk Anderson
Dept of French Studies
Wheaton College MA