LLTI Archives

February 2001, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:23:23 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Philippe Delcloque <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Philippe Delcloque <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5910.7 an all-digital Mac LL ? (!)
>Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:47:13 -0000

------------------
This is obviously something which has changed relatively recently, as I
said, in Europe in 1994, the UK Tandberg rep. told me that the company had
been forced to integrate the Mac in labs due to (world-wide) demand (I
presume mostly in the USA and Australasia).

You can't blame developers and hardware manufacturers like Tandberg/Teleste
or Sony, Can8, etc...  They have to consider the size of the market.  It is
a vicious circle because it means Macs are used less and less in labs.

It seems to me though that the biggest mistake lies with Apple who has NOT
plowed enough effort in the speech interface (speech recognition in
particular).  It has to be ironic that the company who brought out the first
widely available talking computer in 1984, who then produced half decent
speech synthesis with MacinTalk has not been able to push the envelope with
SR, ironic indeed because if you type the expression "Speech Technology" in
a good search engine such as google.com, the topmost site is Apple's speech
section!

Plaintalk has been developed for 2 languages, American English and Mexican
Spanish and its functionalities are basic compared to the best speaker
independent tools available from SR companies.  This will matter in the
Language Lab. interface of the present and future.  We just have to
collectively lobby Apple.

Philippe