LLTI Archives

January 2001, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:39:19 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #5910.3 an all-digital Mac LL ? (!)
>Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:11:31 -0500

We have had an all MAC language center since 1995.  We presently have 50
i-mac computers (400Mhz, 256 RAM) running from a Cheetah NT based server.
We appraoched the porject like you might building a stereo system.  While
you can get all Kenwwod parts and accrue certain advantages, we opted for
flexibility that would allow us to get the best of whatever was out there.
The Sony and Tandberg systems we loked at did somethings very well and
others poorly or not at all.  One of the tandberg systems, for example,
allowd for terrific teacher-student and student-student conferencing, but
miultiple kids could only access a movie simultaneously if they all watched
it together straight through.  Each kid couldn't control the movie -- bakc
it up, pause, fast forward, etc.  Big disadvantage.

A big disadvantage of our system is that the conferencing capability is
very poor.  On the other hand, we use our LLC primarily to have the
students work indpendently (although perhasp on a common exercise) or in
pairs.  The teacher moves around the class and talks to kids individually
face to face.  I have not missed the conferencing capabilikty. We use
Network Assistant top administer our network and it does fine for most
things except this one item.

Everything else works great.  We use Sound Edit and Sound Studio for audio,
the free ITunes to make Mp3's, a LaCie CD burner, Quicktime movies,
SuperMacLang authjoring software (a simple yet powerful tool that's only
$25 forf a site license), MPower and PowerPoint for teacher created
presentations...  Kids do writetn an doral exercises, watch movies, watrch
and make their own presentations, access the web...  Overall, we couldn't
be happier with what we've got.

Specific questions?  Write me a note...

Henry Wilmer
Director, LLC